Friday 18 March 2011

Three Goddesses - a Triad of Celebration. Blessing of Saraswati.

The Blessing of Saraswati
(Hindu Goddess of wisdom, learning, arts, culture and intellect.)

so often, saraswati, images for the intellect  cut through our perception with a sharp blade;
here I meet not a fierce warrior woman but a calm and gentle friend in a peaceful glade.
I approach seeking pearls of wisdom, the sound of your sweet music, the language of soul,
called me and your promise is one of inspiration, heal the broken mind and  make me whole.
saraswati did I invoke you, or did you bring me into being, awake me from a dull and lonely trance
call me out from my  darker mood of frustrated mind, invite me to celebrate the graceful dance
of poetry, and the abstract, of ideas and fascination, of learhning and your gift of reflective insight
to play, to ask, to be curious, to seek to understand and to discover. read me scripture, read me prose
of rhythm and of divine and human truth; teach me reason, logic, sing me the truth that kindly flows
like a hopeful river of appreciation, harmony and refreshment, carry me to companionship and discourse
with others who, like me, love to walk in worlds of  knowledge, art and beauty, sail the river to its source
I was alone saraswati, my dreams were follow of sorrow and of feeling lost, my thoughts confused and bleak
bring me softly with your intelligence and perception to the rich new worlds, the friendships that I seek
and I will tell stories for you saraswati, bring others to your garden, give offerings of the verses and the song
 of the joy of meeting, for the artists, the musicians, the students, writers, teachers who know that they belong
in many worlds, in togetherness in the journey of the path of consciousness, through shadow or through light
Oh saraswati when we gather together or we sit quiet in a private space, to muse, to create, it is you whom we invite.
show us how to listen to our hearts and to take you deep inside our contemplation,  be our teacher,  guide and mentor
hold us in your arms, in your name may we be craftsman, philosopher, sculptor, dancer, actor, songmaker, inventor.
to you we dedicate the work we shape, the play we celebrate, the instruments and tools of our devotions and the care
we bring to practising our arts and skills, and may we respect this gift: not for ourselves alone, but to generously share.
(eva day)

Reflecting on what Saraswati means to me, I related to her as a friend,  at a time when I have felt a great flow of creative energy and readiness to learn, to write, dream, discover, and to connect with others to share inspiration - yet at the same time, a sense of isolation and frustration.  Saraswati may well know that some of this frustration is born of real isolation, during a period of prolonged illness, and of the frustration of feeling the creative spark, yet wrestling with a mind and concentration often fragmented by symptoms and medication.  Saraswati's music is a peaceful calming tonic to soothe these struggles, and clear the sould to create and share.... I ask her to bring me closer to others for sharing.
I would be interested to hear which Muses, Magical Spirits, Goddesses or other Mythological or Symbolic beings light your creative life.....


She holds the pearls which symbolise Knowledge and Leanring, and The Vedic Scriptures - Sacred texts.






1 comment:

Unknown said...

Eva,
This is truly beautiful I enjoy the Hindu deities, and they are so beautiful. When I'm feeling unloved, unattractive and impoverished (funny how those all go hand in hand) I look to Lakshmi who loves beauty and provides for ones material needs. I'm usually drawn to mother Goddesses or those that have mothering qualities, healing, nurturing and comfort; Kuan Yin is a good example and because I was Catholic at an early age Mama Mary and those who resemble her. When I'm feeling the urge to travel, the need for adventure and freedom I picture Diana running through the forest accompanied by her dogs, a real free spirit that Lady! Finally my daughters and now my oldest granddaughter often feel the presence of the Grandmothers and the Aunties, all those who came before and watch over us. Let me just say when my daughter was having a difficult birth there was more than me and the medical staff in that room! I'm always grateful for their presence.