Thursday 17 March 2011

Three Goddesses - a triad of celebrations. Brigit.

(some of my more creative writing goes on my other "Cloud Kooky Land" Blog - but this, I wanted to offer here, as for me it is from a place of hope and healing in weaving into our lives the metaphors and guiding spirits for the values we hold most dear).

Beating the Bounds with Brigit.

walking the boundaries of the familiar place, adventures in my bones, going home, i sing
of the  wise poet and the healer,  the skilled blacksmith whose benevolent gifts I bring.
welded words I forged from the boldness and the uncertainties of my journeys, and the calm
of returning home, into the embrace of family, friends, safety, the  gentle healing balm
for the tired spirit,  dispensed by kind Brigit of the Flame, who brings protection, rest
and is with me in my glad returning, in the rhythm of my daily life, in my traveller's quest.


home and hearth and the fire of family, community and belonging: a sense of safety, ease.
with the intricate craft of the blacksmith, from this fire, the Bright One made me sacred keys
which would unlock the closed and frozen places of inspiration stilted, in my spirit and mind.  
and when in this I was afraid and vulnerable, she gave her protection to me and all humankind,
for those who will invoke and honour her: and meet her with intelligence, drink from her wells:
keep the eternal and sacred flames of inspiration burning in the heart, learn her healing spells.

she will guide you in adventure and in retreat or sanctuary, surround you, lead you by the hand
ask Brigatta's blessing in your villages, parishes and farms, on fences, hedges, walls: but understand
they are the peripheries of wise caution, security; do not make human barriers of enmity and strife.
go to hills and high places, raise your arms, your vision,  invite Brigit's loving kindness into your life.
(eva day)

(Notes:  "Beating the Bounds" was an ancient practice in Britain and elsewhere, in which local people would walk the parameters of a parish, farm, or village, and beat with a stick the most important marking points of the boundaries, along with prayers and rituals for safety and well-being.

Brigit, or Brigatta, is a Celtic Goddess.  Sometimes associated with the Warrior Goddess arechetype, and with war and victory.  Here invoked in her most importan aspect, as Protector, Emlightened One, Bringer of Wisdom and Intelligence: poet, healer and blacksmith.  Brigit was known as The Bright or Eternal Flame, associated with the hearth fire, home, and also sacred wells and hills and high places. In some myths, she had a face beautiful on one side, ugly on the other.  Very sacred and loved and honoured by the ancient Celts.)

THERE ARE TWO MORE GODDESSES IN THIS TRIOLOGY, I OFFER.  SARASWATI, HINDU GODDESS OF LEARNING, CULTURE AND THE ARTS, AND LILITH (IN MUCH FOLK LORE, KNOWN AS A DEMONESS, BUT I HAVE CHOSEN TO PRESENT HER IN HER GODDESS FORM, AS BENEFACTRESS OF FREEDOM, AND NATURAL SPIRIT, POWER AND SENSUALITY. I WILL POST EACH SEPARATELY.)


When Brigit is present with her two sisters, she is worshipped as a Triple Goddess. 
She is also possibly the origin of the stories of the later Saint Brigit, or certainly closely associated with her. 








I see the mystery of the our wounding and our healing in the beauty and the ugliness of her face
she brings her suffering, shares in ours, reveals compassion, protects our ground with loving grace
I see the mystery of the our wounding and our healing in the beauty and the ugliness of her face
she brings her suffering, shares in ours, reveals compassion, protects our ground with loving grace.

I wanted to find a good picture of Brigatta with the two aspects of her face shown powerfully...... those I found should two attractive faces - the "uglier one" far too  "prettified" for what I was looking for.  I wonder if someone who is a painter or drawer could come up with an image that resonates my sense of the contrast of pain and suffering, and compassion and healing..... ?
eva day

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I love this and I can picture in my mind the kind of face you mean, the face thats i not "pretty" by commercial standards but is beautiful in her compassion and history. One of favorite Goddess is "Changing Woman" who much like the triple Goddess embodies all elements and stages of womanhood and of the Earth Herself.
Thanks for this, I've really been feeling the need to reconnect more with my sense of the Divine to take some of the urgency and loneliness away from daily strife.
xo Jenny

AnnMaRou said...

i don't know much about saints, and never heard of st brigit before. thank you for sharing this and for teaching me something new. :))))

eva in cloud kooky land said...

responding to my women friends here, yes in the busy, sometimes harsh modern world - we do need that returning point of connection to the Divine: especially images of powerful female inspiration. and Anna, although not a christian myself, I can also be inspired by some of the more whole teachings from most religions. In Celtic Christianity, there was a wonderful tradition and possibility for women to be educated and have a real spiritual life.... some of the female saint and abbesses of early medieval period were extraordinary, strong women... the used the church to break away from a conventional life of domesticity and child-rearing.... (don't mean that to be a history lesson, just a source of deeper connection to our ancestresses) xx eva

eva in cloud kooky land said...

.... but I relate to Brigit (Brigatta) more in her original form as a pagan Goddess..... xx eva